Wednesday, August 13, 2008

More to 8/8/8 then Beijing Olympic 2008



This event is so great and amazing that for a time there I expected the sales to be lower on 8/8/8 and maybe didn't really mind. Today during my meeting and briefing with my team leaders for the outlets they commented, " Jie, ( they call me big sis, I prefer that to boss), 8/8/8 punyala kosong, sebelah kita biasa penuh itu Old Town White Coffee pun kosong oh". Translation : "Jie, it was so queit on 8/8/8 due to the olympics, even Old Town White Coffe was empty".

I missed the opening because I attended my friend, Ben Liew's wedding dinner. However, would not have missed it for the world. You two are a beautiful couple Ben and Lindsay. Gorgeous wedding photos (featuring the long house and rice paddy fields of Sabah) and beautiful families the both of you. Ben joked and thank us for coming, actually full attendance at the 55 tables, because he only had to fight against the biggest event in the whole wide world. Then he said he chose 8/8/8 not because of its meaning to be rich or prosperous but because, his parents wedding falls on 8/8 and because her parents wedding annivesary also was 8/8. This was very touching. Then the two extra huge cakes were brought out and their parents cut the cake. It was really a surprise for their parents. Then Lindsay's dad sang Bob Carlisle's 'Butterfly Kisses' to her. I nearly cried. Yes yes... I am an emotional person. But moreover, I always told my mum, I wanted my dad to sing that on my wedding day. The best things about weddings though is you really get to hang out with old friends again. This is a picture of us who attended.



So the wedding ends... I reach home just in time to see the torch being lighted up. Amazing! I think China out done themselves. KUDOS! The next morning I saw the repeated telecast on Astro. I was more awed. Nobody could possibly have done better. The numbers and the discipline they have was extraordinary. They have really raised the bar to an unparallel level.





Incorporating their traditions and trade into the show


Delicate details and beauty of all their costumes


Globe and faces of people of the world depicting unity through one event


End of ceremony with fireworks display seen here from the inside of the "birds nest" Olympic Stadium.

More Weddings to attend, in this month. I joke to my friends, why wanna get married in 8/8/8? Shouldn't we be focused on 9/9/9. I would prefer 9/9/9 because it would mean everlasting love or marriage instead of marriage properity in monetary terms. When I mentioned this to my cousin who was married on 7/7/7 last year she said " Hey girl, to get married in 9/9/9 you must already be proposed to, made church bookings, hotel bookings, etc." Errr... ok I don't think I will make it... Just a thought getting married on 10/10/10 sounds very techie.. 101010 programming language. Lets not lose sight here... important thing in a marriage is not only the date but importantly to marry someone you love and want to spend your whole life with, that someone who feels the same way too. When you have this, the date is far from secondary.

No comments: