Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tyre Change Story

Finally, I decided to commit some time after much pestering from a certain someone to change my car tyres. Since I got my car, never changed them and the time has come for me to change all four. I have already clocked 57,000km, but compared to other cars, my tyres are worn out but I must say that its not so bad. I notice the tread wearing out faster in KK, whereas most of the mileage I clocked in KL, did not do much harm to my tyres. We have to improve roads in Kota Kinabalu.


Gulp, gulp, as I waited for the tyre to be changed and alignment to be done. I went to the familiar tyre shop that all my family cars are sent to and also because the owners are good friends. They recommended me to use Pirelli tyres. My original were Conti 195/65/R15. So I replaced them with the exact specs. My new tyres are now Pirelli P7 195/65/R15 I just agreed to them because I felt that they knew what was best and I always have this notion that pay slightly extra for quality goods, they last longer. Plus, I didn't think they would slaughter me.

Little did I know, the little extra was alot extra. RM300 per tyre~~~ yikes! Steep! Later after paying the total bill of RM1250.00 (sob... sob...)The floor manager told me about about the increase in tyre prices. July 1st 2008, tyre prices increased 10% for private vehicles and 18% for trucks. Yikes!! I should have changed them earlier.

I drove away with a few mental notes on the lesson learnt today. No. 1 Do not procrastinate. No. 2 Spend some time to do some research. I could have saved RM120 if I changed them before the price hike and I could have gone for a cheaper brand like YokoHama or GoodYear.

Upside of having spent around RM30 -RM50/per tyre more then necessary is that, the drive feel is distinctively superb. The drive felt more well balanced,solid but comfortable. I am not an expert but there is a difference. Plus,they are the recommended tyres for my car make and model.

More spending to come on my car. Also time to change my brake pad and major service. That is why cars are a huge liability.

The RM625 car rebate doesn't hurt in situations like this.

No comments: